Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Look at us, but do not touch

I'm sorry if I keep on writing about the same things lately, but one last note on Primal Scream. Their cover of Some Velvet Morning really does something to me...now a lot of people think they butchered this classic Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood duet, but honestly I don't think of it or compare it to the original at all. It sounds completely different, and I'm really addicted to it. Lots of energy, sensual ism, sexiness, and mystery to it. The electronics in it are incredibly infectious, and all I think of is being at some high fashion runway show in Paris because of it. I think it would fit really well as a runway soundtrack. Anyways, I'm using this to segway into a fashion talk once again. Since Kate Moss duets on this track and of course is in the video, fashion needs to be mentioned here. The video is really trendy cool, and my pop culture side really enjoys it, a total guilty pleasure. Primal Scream is kind of an odd band, they sound really different on each album and have changed their sound throughout the years, but their recent stuff is mostly electronic/high energy I've found. Bobby Gillespie is pretty hot (lead of PS), and has been through the music circuit for a while (he drummed for the jesus and mary chain during Psychocandy, etc.). Anyways, the other day I went to Barnes and Noble and splurged on some imported Fashion/Art Mags from England and it looks like the early 1990s look is gaining major headway. The whole shoegaze, psychedelia look seems to be especially popular overseas, and I suspect in NY, LA, and SF as well, (but i can't be sure of it since i don't live in these cities at the moment, but I have a strong suspicion that there's a group of kids sporting these looks in these areas). With the advent of american apparel and urban outfitters this trend is mass market. I mean i like it, but it's eh, way trendy. Anyways when you see major 'indie' trends like this with scenesters it's usually due to a band or some other pop culture icon. I think we're always going backward to those monumental times in music to take their clothes and re make them for today. Just look at american apparel and urban outfitters, all those clothes are reminiscent of late 80s and 90s style. An over sized day glo shirt is no longer a faux pas my friends, it's very sheik apparently. I don't know maybe it's not, but I find more and more of the mainstream turning this way too, it's sort of cool but mass produced again. I saw these thirteen year old boys walking downtown the other day with these bright purple crazy day glo colors and some bright kicks to match. Also, forever 21 is BIG on this trend, which is why Rebecca and I decided to name a certain section there the early 90s section since it's very apparent. I'm sure this is nothing you haven't already known, I'm just reflecting on this. Trends come and go, as well as the bands that work this trend, they have that one hit with their matching styles and the next day their gone. I'm really curious to see what's going to happen next, what era will we see again? As for my own personal style, I may buy one or two items at the stores I've mentioned but I'm not going to buy their 'outfit.' I just do what I do like many of you stylish people, buy and wear what you like - don't listen to me or anyone else, and if you don't really care about fashion, well that's cool too. Other than that, primal scream, Egon Schiele, and Bosch are major players in my evolution of dressing lately...this is the beauty of a new day, it equals a new look, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment