Monday, October 26, 2009

I saw it flying over in the air, some tin can getting crushed.

Where do I begin to explain? I witnessed destruction, wild abandon, drunken freedom, sisterly love, high power money grabbers, the poor beggars, and folks of middle eastern descent all in one day. On our way to Santa Barbara on Saturday right before hitting Los alamos the most horrific thing happened. On the northbound side we saw this white thing in the air and a gigantic cloud of dust and immediately my friend yells "oh my god, do you see that, somebody just had an accident!" She pulls over to the side of the freeway, gets out of the car and makes a mad dash across the dividers while I'm in the car, adrenaline rushing, trying to call 911. As I make the call I can see this young man stumble out, looking like a zombie, disoriented. The car had rolled and was back on its right side in a ditch, the entire top of it crushed. After making the 911 call, I immediately call my mother while I'm just sitting there watching my friend and four other people trying to help. There was another guy too, the passenger who was the worst off. According to my friend his biceps brachii muscle was bleeding heavily and he had head wounds. I was so proud of my friend (who is a junior lifeguard), she was there doing all the first aid, trying to keep him concsious while they waited for the paramedics. All of a sudden a helicopter shows up and lands on the freeway, air evacuating them up and out. It was the most insane/awful thing to witness, but I'm just sooo glad that they're alive and were conscious. There isn't really much left to say, when my friend got back in the car we just hugged and came to the realization like all people do, that everything can change in a split second.

No comments:

Post a Comment