Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sweet Nostalgia 1998

Lately there has been one movie that I've just been wanting to see again, enough time has passed for me to enjoy the nostalgia of 'Excess Baggage' starring Benicio Del Toro (swoon), and Alicia Silverstone. Back when I was in fourth grade I remember I would always go to my friend Katherine's house and we would just hangout, paint our nails, and watch this movie. I swear we watched it at least once a week, we started memorizing the lines and shit. I remember how we loved how bad ass cool Alicia Silverstone was in her role and how gorgeous Benicio Del Toro was (and still is). Katherine would say that Silverstone's character held all facets of our circle of friends. I had her style, Katherine had her attitude, Amber and looked like her and our friend emily, well Alicia's character has the same name. I think her descriptions were and still are spot on. Unfortunately, I don't get to see my childhood friends as much as I'd like to anymore. Sure, I see them every couple of years or so and try to stay in touch via the internet but nothing can compare to the bonds girls share in pre adolescence, before things get catty and vain. It was all about having fun, going shopping with our moms, singing and dancing to the B52's, and proclaiming that "girls rule, boys drool!" Not to say I'm not having a blast now with my girlfriends, but that whole innocence is gone. Maturity and sex kinda complicate everything and just adult life in general complicates things. It was a fun time in my life, and it was free and easy. Which is why I need to get a hold of this movie soon, just so I can take a break and get away - travel back in time to my pre adolescent self, and figure out the process of change. Memorize and remember what it was like to be 10 and realize that I need to come back to now because one day, ten years from now I'm going to be trying to remember what I was like when I was 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment